Car fuel prices are on a constant hike for a good part of 2008H1. You are on a constant quest to enhance your fuel efficiency and car fuel savings . Regardless of whether you are driving a hybrid, compact, lpg, green or cng car, you would be looking to more cost saving ways of managing your transport expenses.
Check out the following simple yet proven effective ways on achieving fuel efficiency, conserving gasoline and attaining cost savings the easy way. This is part 1 of a series of Environmentally Friendly & Green Driving Tips:
- Keep good car habits . Before you switch off your car ignition, remember to switch off all electrical units like the car hifi sound system, air conditioning, heating gadgets, compartment lights as well as head lights. This avoids drain on your car battery, reduces maintenance costs.
- I am not selling for The Greyhound here, but if you have to travel across states or provinces, consider taking the coach. The scenery could do you some good, not to mention the stress of driving across unfamiliar towns and provinces.
- Communal car pooling is definitely a viable solution to if you could find like minded colleagues who are neighbors living within your vicinity willing to pool resources.
- Avoid Rush Hour – And yes, that is the very famous but always ignored suggestion. As much as procrastination gets you, try harder. In countries where they install electronic road pricing measurement ERP gadgets, you could find yourself doubling your fuel consumption, doubling your fuel costs and your travel time. Worst of all, the electronic road pricing slaps an additional toll charge whenever you pass a particular gantry at rush hour!
- Unless you are in the habit of stress testing your engine and gearbox, do not travel in low gears at high speed conditions .
- Accelerate slowly when picking up at the stop light. Never do a jack rabbit start , as it not only consumes much more fuel, it leads to greater carbon monoxide emission and air pollution. Also, you tend to wear the tires out too.
- Always keep your car in good tuned up condition . Smooth running cars utilize much less fuel. A good mechanic is worth a million dollars, or the value of your car really..
- When driving a stretch of long freeway (or highway) set cruise control at a fix level for consistent fuel usage. This helps to reduce the inconsistent fuel injection by human manual driving.
- Combine several short trips into one . Once your engine is warmed up they generate less air pollution, so keep it running over a few so combining several short trips into one can make a big difference.
- You can save fuel and energy simply by parking your car in a covered garage whenever possible, especially in winter and summer. You would then avoid exposing your car to harsh winter snow and ice as well as the torturing summer sun. This helps you warm up the car faster in winter and cool it better in summer.
- Remove excess baggage . Get rid of items not required on a daily basis. The most common are golf sets, snow chains etc. Reload on a need to use basis.
- Avoid keeping car engine in idle mode for long periods . If you are stuck in traffic and you don’t think you are going to go anywhere in the next five minutes, you may want to turn your car off.
- Do regular tune-ups . Check for worn spark plugs, brake pads, low transmission fluid; re-align your wheels, rotate your tires, replace the air filter whenever required.
- Do regular oil check and replace the oil and filter regularly to ensure fuel economy as well as engine longevity. You can also use recycled oil as replacement but ensure that you get them at specialist workshops that does them.
- New cars do not need to be warmed up for long period of time. So as much as your pocket can help it, change to a new environmentally friendly green car .
Read more about Environmentally Friendly Car topics Here.